Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Adaptation indeed! A Whole New Market In Pictures: Star Wars goes Cubist (Wired UK

Media_httpcdniwiredco_hyjat

Excerpt:

"...Once the much-maligned painting style of Absinthe-fuelled bohemians, Cubism has been given new life by American artist Tommervik.

The muted tones, strong lines and graphical shapes Tommervik creates are strongly reminiscent of the figures and still lifes pioneered by Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque at the turn of the 20th Century. However, there's not a bottle or a guitar in sight in these images, which instead transform the world of Star Wars into abstract oils on canvas.

Over the last year Tommervik has started to add paintings of Star Wars characters to his repetoire of sportsmen, bears and Pee Wee Herman, to name but a few. He's now racked up quite a collection, the majority of which you can view in our gallery, below, which reflects a childhood fascinated with the Hollywood franchise.

Tommervik told Wired.co.uk: "Star Wars impacted on my life at an early age. I remember all the neat toys, and remembering them and my childhood inspired me to paint."

Interestingly, the artist relies entirely on these vintage toys and his imagination as the reference point for his paintings, saying his craft gets in the way of any pop-cultural film research: "I don't remember which Star Wars film was my favourite. It's been such a long time since I watched the films -- I'm often too busy painting."...

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: