Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

João Krefer's July wins in Hong Kong Mobile Film Festival Awards. Interview link below.

Excerpt from The Creators Project interview with Krefer:

"The Creators Project: What is Julho?

João Krefer: Julho is the result of an ambiguous feeling I get from Curitiba, where I was born and have always lived. For a variety of reasons, I can’t wait to get out of there, but I cannot deny that I have established a home there, in the broadest sense of the term. The cold weather that lurks in the city has become an aesthetic issue for me. It’s part of my identity, even if only in an antithetical sense. Curitiba is a bipolar city, it has no middle ground. Bringing this idea to the movies I want to make, gets to a point where I start to see beauty in the contemplation of inertia, the dilution of the tangible world to the detriment of a world composed mainly of light in motion. This is all reflected in Julho, within a first person perspective, simultaneously anxious and conforming for a change. The very way the character looks at the city lies between two poles. On one hand, there’s a very jaded aspect–there have already been countless images made about the look-at-the-world-through-the-window perspective—on the other hand, there’s an important detail to me, which is the fact that the rain on the window serves as a filter between the observer and the world. I would even say that Julho is not a film about looking through the window, but looking at the window, the city out there as a backdrop for the morbid tranquility of the individual. This for me is the perfect synthesis of Curitiba...."

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/blog/pioneering-cell-phone-cinema-qa-with-j...

Posted via email from Siobhan O'Flynn's 1001 Tales

No comments: